The Computer Network Support Facility (CNSF) delivers services, information technology, and communication tools to enhance the scientific productivity of biomedical and bioscience investigators at UH Mānoa. Our clients include researchers, administrators and staff in the Pacific Biosciences Research Center and those associated with NIH center grants in the John A. Burns School of Medicine and other departments. CNSF personnel provide IT support in network and server administration, high-performance computing, website development and maintenance, and desktop and laptop computer support. The specific tasks performed in each of these major services areas are determined by the needs of the client investigators, the available equipment and the expertise of the facility staff.
- Network and server administration. The PBRC servers are connected via fiber-optic link to the University computer center. Service is supplied to the disparate PBRC buildings (Kewalo Marine Laboratory, Békésy Laboratory, Snyder Hall, Gilmore Hall, and the Biomedical Sciences Building).
- High-performance computing. An Intel-processor-based BEOWULF computer cluster permits rapid execution of computationally-intensive tasks such as processing of high-throughput bioinformatics data, statistical analyses of large data sets and computational reconstruction of high-speed video holographic and particle-image velocimetry data.
- Website development and maintenance. In addition to the PBRC web pages and those of PBRC faculty, the CNSF supports several internally-generated public-information pages on scientific topics related to faculty and staff expertise, including Microangela from the BEMF and the Allen Image Collection.
- Desktop and laptop computer support. CNSF provides routine for faculty and staff in bringing online new computers, installing software, trouble-shooting hardware and software problems, providing general-use hardware such as printers and scanners, and other standard IT support. Faculty and staff routinely consult with CNSF staff to optimize their computer needs.
- Communications services. The CNSF has a reputation for excellence in seamlessly managing the audio-visual and network connection needs of multiple sessions at large scientific meetings. CNSF provides support for video-conferencing needs, including hardware and logistical expertise. CNSF also provides poster printing and laminating services to UH Mānoa faculty and researchers.